Tuesday, August 5, 2008

{recycled memories}

I usually don't like to post a whole bunch of crafts on my blog, because I like to use this more for journaling and things of that nature rather than my obsession with crafts! But I thought I would make an exception. This is appropriate since this craft I created is a little part of me! I'm calling it the "recycled memory blanket". Jay and I each have one childhood box...every few years I go through it and I found some old t-shirts...I wanted to do something with them, instead of them just sitting in a box. I made a queen sized one for Jay for our Christmas together of both of our shirts from high school. Since I only had a hand full of t-shirts left, I thought I would make a blanket for Tessa's baby dolls and for her to just play with! That way the shirts are being used....Anyway, as I was making it I decided that I am going to give it to Tessa as a Christmas present and maybe buy a baby to go with it! Yea, my first Christmas present done!



memories.
BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB: This shirt belonged to the oldest boy I nannied for in Livermore, Graham. I can't remember the circumstance, something along the lines that he didn't want the shirt anymore and I did! I loved wearing it and when I look at this shirt it brings back wonderful memories of caring for three truly amazing boys and children of our Heavenly Father!

DREAM DANCERS: To this day I still love to dance. This shirt was given to me when I was apart of my first dance team when I was in fourth grade! I have so many fun memories dancing with the other girls on the team. We lived in Idaho and Oregon and I LOVED the routines and competitions we did. I remember thinking I was so good....I look back at videos of me dancing and I laugh...I was so little! During that time I really cultivated my love for dancing!

ZELDA'S: The square on the bottom left says "Zeldas" in pink. Zelda's is a restaurant down town Capitola. My mom and I went there sort of as my farewell lunch for moving out of the house after the summer of my senior year. I was getting ready to move into the Johnson's to be their nanny. It was a bittersweet goodbye. I was surprisingly ready to leave my family, but still loved being near them. When we went to lunch I bought this shirt along with a pair of sweat pants as a reminder of where I grew up. I am thankful for Santa Cruz and all of the experiences that are such a huge part of who I am.

AUDIOCRUSH: (the top black square.) They were a band I went to see when I was in the single's ward at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. I think I went with Mariah...Audiocrush were the opening band to Lifehouse. What an amazing concert! The Catalyst is a really small place, so no matter where you are standing, you have a great up close view! I loved concerts there...and again, in the heart of Santa Cruz....lovin' it.

BARBARA HOLM TAYLOR: The center square is an embroidery from Jason's grandma (Adrienne's mommy). Jason's sister Erin gave this to us from her during our first Christmas together. It's always nice to have handmade things from family members...Maybe that's why I'm so into homemade gifts...there's always so much more meaning and love in something homemade than a store bought something.

NIKE: This orange shirt doesn't really have a ton of significance other than I used to work out in it A LOT! I am pretty sure I stole it from my sister years ago and simply never gave it back because it just fit me too well! I guess it represents those days when I was going to the gym everyday and I was really in shape...man do I wish I could have those days back!

I'm glad to have a blanket like this to help remember such wonderful memories I have to be grateful for. I have such a great life and LOVE every minute of it...the good and the occasional bad!

3 comments:

Christine said...

I love this. I can't believe you both still had tshirts from high school days! I have been saving my favorite clothing of Emily's to make a similar quilt for her. Never thought about making a baby doll blanket for her - that's a great idea! Thanks!

Davis Family said...

So cute! I like that you explained each shirt. Now Tessa can look back and read all of the stories behind it.

kcaldeira said...

I believe you cut up a bunch of my shirts and still needs to be put together :) When can we do that?