Monday, July 14, 2008

filoli masion

Jason, my mom Debbie, Tessa, my dad Mark, my grama Barbie, and me!

The owner named the home after his credo:
“Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life.”

There so many cool brick walls and doorways with huge iron gates that were really pieces of art in themselves. I loved the brick walk ways the tall trees and bushes.
We found a little bench that was first for Tessa's size. This picture looking across the grass was where one of the owners had her wedding and all of the guests sat on each side creating a path. At the top (where I was taking the picture) was where the couple stood...It was truly amazing.
What a beautiful day. We (mom, dad, Tessa, Jason, Barbie, and me) went to the Filoli Masion in Woodside. I have been to Filoli one other time, and it is the most amazing place I have ever been too. It's basically this incredible house that was built in 1915 with amazing architecture and breath taking gardens that span over 16 acres. There are several different gardens...from the "working" garden which is where the fruit trees were, to the rose garden, to the herb garden, to the cutting garden where they had the flowers that they would cut for the inside the house. It was more than amazing. The detail that went into building this unique edifice is beyond my comprehension. I had so much fun day dreaming that it was mine as we strolled along the pathways and through the trees...Can you imagine? There was also a pool, an Italian garden with a huge pond, hundreds of benchs placed throughout the grounds, a solarium, tennis courts, and a wedding area. The picture of me under the archway is so cool. The breezeway was covered in ivy. It was so enchanting.
The house was a whole other story. It was unreal. The kitchen....Let's just say I could have lived in the kitchen alone and would have been happy. There was the main kitchen....and a preparation room, a chilling room, a room that was a safe where they stored all of their fine silver, and a pastry room. Unbelievable! I think that the coolest room in the house was the library. The library had wall to wall books and to the ceiling. The walls of books were broken up with these beautiful panels with intricate moulding. The secret is that each of these panels opens up to more books....Isn't that so cool! I love that. I want to build a home someday with that much detail and uniqueness. I had so much fun with my family and my dad and Jay (who had never been there) really like it. There was a gift shop and of course I had to buy something. I got these really cute place mats that were on sale of course!
This is the Italian pond with a fountain. It was so peaceful just standing there looking at everything. Tessa was so good the whole day. We opted not to bring a stroller since she didn't sit in one at all the day before at the aquarium. She was such a good sport and had fun running around. Thank goodness dad and grandpa Kenning were there to keep her occupied and me sane!

2 comments:

Tanner Family said...

Wow you have had a busy couple of weeks! Looks like you guys had fun!

Cindy and Lane said...

Nicki, too cute. Loved all the photos from filoli, and escpecially all of your comments. you are great at writing and expressing you thoughts and feeling.