Sunday, July 8, 2012

today.

Photobucket
today, I am thankful for my garden, for the beauty of the earth, for the health of my family, for MY home and the spirit and comfort I feel when I am there.  I am thankful for good books to read, for running (I never thought I'd say that!), for my kind and oh so patient sweetheart.  I am thankful for family's new found lifestyle with our health habits and how we eat as a family.  I am thankful for a good night's sleep and for naps, for the scriptures, and for the talents I've blessed with.  I am thankful for trials that strengthen me and allow me to grow so much more than I thought I ever could.  I am thankful for each and every day that my Heavenly Father lends me breath.  I am blessed...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We are growing:
kale
beets
2 kinds of swiss chard
collards
zucchini
watermelon
bell pepper
jalapeno pepper
beans
carrots
tomatoes
sage, oregano, dill, rosemary, mint, basil, parsley

yum.....
We are harvesting our kale, beets, and some of our chard tomorrow, and I can't wait!

So, a little bit about my changed eating habits.  I couldn't be happier with my choices with eating.  It's a bit drastic, I know, but it feels so right.  I've completely cut out butter and white sugar, I have very little dairy and meat and way more greens.  I stopped buying bread and tortillas and make both of those things with whole wheat and homemade.  I have green smoothies everyday.  Things like quinoa, chia seeds, flax seeds, watercress, chard, coconut oil, kelp powder, and even spinach are now things I have daily and it feels so good knowing that I am really taking care of my body and giving it the vitamins and minerals it needs.  I only use natural sugars, mainly agave and raw honey.  I rarely use white flour and grind all of my own wheat.  I love creating yummy and healthy meals for my family.  It's also amazing to me the difference in my children's behavior by illuminating refined sugars, they are so much better behaved and even tempered.  I appreciate food more and am thankful for nature and what the earth provides for our nourishment.  Thankfully, Jay and I completely agree with these changes and are having a lot of fun with trying new things and seeing how healthy and whole we can make something.  He even got mad at me the other day for using mayo on his sandwich!! It was awesome!  We are truly blessed and I love food!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

So what are some recipes that you make for like dinners and lunches then that you and your kids all like? I'd be interested to know some. And your green smoothie recipes. Way to go Nic!

Ms. said...

That sounds a lot like what my inlaws are doing (they've been doing it for a year). I'm not there yet but I love that you are doing it. Good food totaly helps you feel better! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I finally caught up on your blog....instead of working, which I should be doing, but my client is LATE. I loved the photos, writing, and content!! You are amazing!