Tuesday, October 21, 2008

yoga journal

The reason I am posting this is because I thought it would be interesting to have this for future reference since this is blog is my for family history and record keeping purposes.

So in the yoga class I am taking at Las Positas College this semester, my teacher has asked that we keep a "yoga journal" to really understand yoga and how it can benefit our bodies and minds. She has given us a list of questions that need to answer. So here it goes!

1. Where do you hold tension in your body?I most definitely hold tension in my shoulders. I am always having to relax and sit up straighter. And every time I ask my husband to rub my shoulders, they are always sore and tender. You know the old saying, "He's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders"...Well, sometimes I feel like that. Remembering and keeping up with my responsibilities to be a better mother, wife, friend, baby-sitter, house keeping, daughter, neice, and especially becoming more Christ like...I'm bound to feel it somewhere! Okay, after really thinking about this particular question and trying to discover where I hold the MOST tension, I would have to say that my jaw gets the brunt of it. I find myself constantly clenching my jaw and sometimes even grinding my teeth. When I do that, I am usually in a stressful situation, frustrated, tense, etc. When my jaw is that tight, when I open my month again, my jaw pops...not a good sign, I know.

2. How do you commonly deal with stress?
Umm, the ultimate question. This one's tough because I guess it depends on what I'm stressed out about. But commonly I probably do a variety of things: pray, read my scriptures, take a nap, enjoy a movie, sew/create something, service...Whatever I'm stressed about, I pick one and go to it!

3. John Lennon once wrote "Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans." Describe your ability (or challenge) to remain in the moment. Does your mind wander? Are you able to return your focus to your body and your breathing?
I think the one thing that I've found that helps me to stay in the moment and not get distracted is picturing my body breathing in and out, slow and deliberate. I also really enjoy closing my eyes as much as I can during my practice because it allows me to stay focused and centered and also helps me not to think about others around me.

4.Which poses in the Sun Salutation are most challenging for you?
I know that the most challenging one for me is the transition from plank to cobra. I have never really had great upper body strength and it's always been hard for me to do a good push up. So moving that slow and steady has been hard for me, but I'm determined to do it!

5. Which areas of your body feel especially tight?
I think that the interesting thing with that is that sometimes we don't know something it tight until we have stretched or massaged it. It amazes me how unaware we can become about our bodies. I am generally a really flexible person (thankfully), so I'm not as tight as some, but for my body, I can get tight in my calves and my chest. I think it's because I am picking up and carrying children all day!

6. Where in your body do you feel you need more strength?
I definitely would like more strength in my core/abs, back, arms and thighs. I remember back in the day when I would work out and lift weights everyday, and I remember those were my favorite areas to tone and stengthen. And I definitely feel better with I've used those muscles in yoga.

7. The "pickle jar" syndrome (unnecessary muscular tension) is something we have all expereienced. What have you noticed about your own ability to let go of unnecessary muscular tension in yoga practice and in your daily living.
Okay, I love this question because it is actually something that I am very aware of. I definitely think that relaxing the muscles in my face and closing my eyes when I practice makes me relaxed and focused. I also think that minor adjustments in certain poses can be very relaxing and release tension. So a funny story about how I applied this in my daily life. When I gave birth to my daughter Tessa, I definitely put this idea into practice. At the time I had already taken two yoga classes and enjoyed occasionally practicing on my own. I made it a distinct point during my delivery with Tessa to keep the muscles in my face relaxed and calm. I used my slow and steady breathing, along with a relaxed face to focus all of my energy during my pushing. It was so empowering because I knew exactly how to breath and where to focus all of my attention and energy on. And by doing those things, I only pushed for 20 mins. and she was out! It was truly an amazing experience and I great tool I will always remember to use not just in child birth, but in many others areas on my life!

8. List ten things that are most important to you.
1.my husband Jason
2.my daughter Tessa
3.my testimony
4.my membership in the church
5.my home
6.all of my family and extended family, my parents
7.my body
8.the temple
9.knowledge
10.progressing and moving forward with life

9. Consider the ten things you listed above. Pick one of those things and do something during this next week that will emphasize your value on that thing.
Last night I wrote an email to my half brother who lives in the Czech Republic. I have never been able to have a relationship with him and have recently come in contact with him. I have been thinking a lot lately about the importance of family and how I really need to make more of an effort to reach out to my brother. It's been a few months since we have emailed, and so I emailed him a long nice email about how I am thankful that he is my brother and how I hope that we can build a great relationship! It felt good knowing that I am trying to put my family first in many different ways, this being one of them.

11. What are your three favorite poses? Why?
Downward facing dog. Because I've been doing it for over three years and with many tweeks and minor adjustments, I finally feel like I can do it perfectly and it feels so good for my body!

Pigeon pose. Because it feels so good after I stand up and walk...my hips feel so open and relaxed.

Cat and Dog stretch. Because it feels so god on my back.


12. Niyama experience: Identify a current practice that does not promote a healthy life style for you. For one week eliminate that practice. Record your experience in your journal.
Okay, so I went hard core for this one. When I read this question I knew exactly what what I wanted to eliminate. sugar or rather sweets....Thankfully, I had the support of my sisiter who lives with me, and she decided to do it with me. So for a week, I didn't have sweets...It was hard, but I was a little surprised that I didn't die without them! It was such a great experience and actually have tried to only have sweets on the weekend, to give myself some balance!

13. Comment on the wisdom of Buddha: "The secret of health for both body and mind is not to mourn the past, not to worry about the future or to anticipate trouble, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly."
I completely agree with this statement. I have done each of these things and have learned the hard way to live in the moment. I know that when I live in the moment and am aware of the here and now, I am happier, healthier, and I feel peace inside.

14. Describe the left/right imbalances in your body in terms of strength and flexibility.
Thankfully, my body is really flexible. Even after having a baby, I still can do all of the same poses I did before with the same ease. For the most part each side is generally equal. On occassion, my right side is stronger and more flexible because I am right handed, but there have been a couple of times where I do a pose and am surprised to learn that I am stronger on the left side. It's so interesting and fascinating to learn about my body and what it's capable of doing even with the slightest adjustment.

15. What are five things you like about yourself.
1.my ambition and desire to always want to become a better person
2.my legs!
3.my talents and creativity
4.my skin
5.that I'm always setting goals and wanting to improve

16. Make a list of all of the postures you know by name.
Okay, let's see what I know...here it goes! Cat/dog pose, downward facing dog, dolphin, dolphin plank, plank, warrior 1 & 2, cresent lunge, cresent moon, mountain, forward bend, corpse, pigeon, triangle, star, bridge, shavasena, happy baby, fish, bat....

17. Make a list of three people who have had a significant and positive influence on your life.
Amy Barton
Krista Lynch
Lauren Hesse

18. Slect one individual from the list above and indicate the qualities of that individual that make him/her significant to you.
Lauren was my 8th grade humanities teacher and friend. Over the years, I have kept in contact with her because of the amazing woman that she is. She is always learning, takes great care of her body, loves life, is a positive person, values family and friendships, a great teacher, and has great self worth.

19. Try to contact the individual you indicated in entry 18. Write a letter. Make a phone call. Send an email. Describe your intereaction. Has is been many years?
There have been several times that I have done this and I love keeping in touch with her. She is one of the kindness people I know and I aspire to be like her. She is always appreciative of our connections together!

20. Read the article "Meditation 101" Choose one of the strategies to apply for 15 minutes of meditaion. Following your meditation, record any observations or realizations in your journal.
Just Sit. I think its so important to do this from time to time. I think that we would be surprised our emotions and how we can better be in the now, the moment. It's good to be present and allow your body and mind to be one.

21. List three postures that are particularly good for your body. Why?
Downward facing dog-because I love feeling of using the muscles in my back and I love the energy that flows through my body after I do that pose.

22.What does the blessing "I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of peace, of light, and of truth. When are you in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one." mean to you?
My first thought goes to my husband and being married. That is something that I am always striving to recognize in him and our relationship. It's important to always try to see people for who they truly are, as children of our Heavenly Father.

23. Describe an act of kindness that has been shown to you.

I was at church last Sunday and one of the ladies that I visit teach came up to me and gave me a couple pairs of pjs that she found in a box at home and she thought of my daughter to give them to. I don't why, but that really touched me. I don't know her really well and so thought of me! That made me feel so good.

24. In the movie "Pay it Forward" we see the profound effect a single act of kindness can have on someone's life. Deliver an act of kindness to someone. Write about the experience.

A few days ago, I babysat for a single mom all day so that she could move. Her little girl was so cute and good and I was so grateful that I could help her out. I love service and and thankful for the opportunities I have to serve. There is nothing in the world like the feeling you get have you forget yourself and serve others.

No comments: