Thursday, September 4, 2008

Apple Buttermilk Pie

I definitely prefer this buttermilk crust to a regular pastry crust. This crust is very soft and has great flavor. Besides, go just can't go wrong with apple pie! tip: to make buttermilk....use regular milk to desired measurement and then add a teaspoon or so of vinegar and let sit until lumpy.

Buttermilk Crust
2 cups flour
1 t. salt
2/3 cup shortening
3 T. butter
2 t. olive oil
1/3 cup buttermilk

Combine and cut in flour, salt shortening, and butter. Then mix in olive oil and buttermilk.
Roll out on floured surface and place in pie dish.

Apple filling
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 cups apples (thinly sliced)
1 T. melted butter
sugar for sprinkling
Combine brown sugar, flour and apples. Pour filling in crust in dish. With the extra crust that is hanging over the edge, do not cut off. Simply drape over apples so all you see is a hole of apples in the middle. Pour melted butter and sprinkle on sugar. Cover just the apple portion with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

4 comments:

Davis Family said...

who knew you could take such a great picture of an apple pie! You're right, that pie was fantastic!! Thanks for letting me experience the buttermilk crust! :)
I also love your pics in the park.

Ms. said...

I am totally going to try your buttermilk crust!

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing a piece of that pie with me last week. So yummy!

Christine said...

I love that picture. Making homemade pie crust SCARES me! Seriously!!! Even Devin's grandmother tried to teach me and I still freak out about it.

But I'll have to give your recipe a try 'cause I know my kids would love it!