Friday, May 21, 2010

i never thought

its been 14 days and i'm still breathing, but my heart feels heavy, like there is something physically sitting on it.  when i was a kid, i called my dad diddy.  from day one we were buddies.  i grew up loving him and spending oodles of time with him.  we connected.  we understood each other. through the years he has helped me through some pretty difficult times and i could always count on him to buoy me up and rely on his wisdom to help me through it.  his spirit understood mine.  we thought alike.  i'm pretty certain that you can't have a better more complete daddy/daughter relationship than i had with my dad.  so lucky. we love the same things--in particular the ocean, we are both dreamers, we are both emotional, we both love people and especially babies.  he adored my kids, especially tessa, or as he called her, bitty.  he always told me that he had a special connection with her, and i brushed it off with a whatever dad, of course you do, she's your grand baby.  but he knew, his spirit knew that he would only have a short time on this earth with her and so he soaked it up as much as he could and he did!

i never thought i would have to go through something like this at such a young age, but the Lord has a plan for each of us and i'm confident that he is mindful of me and my family during this most difficult time in our lives.  on may 6th my dad went in for a pretty basic surgery on his neck.  the surgery went beautifully and tessa and i talked to him afterwards and he sounded great.  he joked around with the nurses that night and was up walking around.  then early the next morning on may 7th, my dad's neck swelled up and he stopped breathing and then his heart stopped.  the doctors tried to revive him for 40 mins, but nothing could be done.  just like that, in an instant, my dad was gone.  even now, as i write this, my tummy is in knots...i don't think i'll ever get used to the idea.

i was supposed to be at a park with tessa and hudson at 10am that day, but arrived 15mins early because i wanted to fit in an extra errand, but couldn't and decided to let tessa play a bit longer....the Lord knew.  i pulled up to the empty park and saw that my mom had called.  i got the kids out of the car and let tessa loose to play on the playground.  it was such a beautiful day, the sun was shinning so bright. i was in a great mood because i had a busy day planned and the day before, i have almost completely cleaned the house!  life was in order and i was happy and content.

i called my mom back after we got situated.  she asked me if i was with the kids or at Lara's or if i was alone.  my mind quickly wondered why she was asking me these weird questions.  she then said the worst words i could ever hear. "i'm sorry to have to tell you this, but dad died."  i went into a state of shot and almost started hyperventilating.  after later talking to my mom about our conversation, she said she couldn't even understand what i was saying.  i remember my first reaction and saying to my mom, "you're lying, you're lying".  it's funny what the mind does to you.  of course she wouldn't lie about something like that, but i'm sure it was my mind not wanting to except reality. 

i quickly loaded the kids in the car and called jay.  immediately after i told jay the news, he didn't even hesitate.  he left work right away and called his dad to come to our house so that i wouldn't be alone.  that whole day was a blur.  it felt like an out of body experience.  i walked around the house in a complete daze while we packed and prepared for our flights that evening to be with my mom.  thankfully em and terrill got the same flight with us, so we were all together.

i'm so thankful that i was got to talk to my dad about an hour after his surgery and that tessa got to as well.  i remember hearing the relief in my dad's voice that it went well and that he came out of the anesthesia so well too.  my dad has had multiple surgeries in his life, but it had been quite a few years since his last one, so he was nervous.  i remember asking him questions about him surgery and how he was feeling and he sounded great.  i remember telling him i love him and tessa told him that she loved him too. and the evening before the surgery, jay told him that he loved him too.

looking back, i know that the Lord was preparing each one of us for this event.  the sunday before, jay suggested that we fast for my dad the day of his surgery and we prayed all day that it would go well.  i recall a conversation that my dad and i have maybe too months ago about him passing away.  i brought up something along that subject to him and i told him that i don't know what i would do without him in my life and that i couldn't even think about it because it was such a horrible thought.  he laughed and said that i would be fine and i reassured him that i wouldn't and then ended that subject because i couldn't bare the thought of living my life without him.  now that the Lord's will has proven otherwise, i am forced to cope with the reality that is mine.  you really can't understand the emotions and trauma that you physically and mentally go through when someone close to you dies until you experience it first hand.  i've heard the grieving process is harder for those that were closer to the one that has passed.  i believe this to be true.  my dad and i were extremely close.  i will always cherish and love the man he was the exemplar of Christ his showed.  dad, until we meet again...i love you.

13 comments:

Shannon and Cameron said...

I loved hearing your memories of your dad. He sounded like a wonderful man, husband, father, and grandpa. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!!

Michelle said...

Nicki-I was crying right with you as I read this beautiful post. I'm so sorry...

Ryan said...

Nicki - Thanks for sharing this with us. You are stronger than you know, and I can tell how much you and your father adored each other. I can't wait to see you when you get back, hope your time with your family helps.

Ms. said...

I had to stop reading, too many tears. My heart overflows for you. I love you and I am so sorry for your loss my great friend. I remember the first time I met your dad it was at your house in Santa cruz for your birthday. You showed me his office in the garage and we had 'bananna soup' and he ate a piece of ground beef before it was cooked. LOL

Christina said...

Nicki, I never met your dad, but your words are too sweet and I feel like I got a glimpse of the great man he was! So sorry you're going through this, but He will get you through!!!

SarahSunshine said...

Oh, hun, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're right though, Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and His timing is always right.
Call me if you need a hug. :)

Paul said...

Nicki, You and your family are in Mine and Leslie's prayers. I hope each day the sun shines brighter for you. I am sorry that you have to experience this. Thank goodness Lord is always there for comfort.

MADBUNNELL said...

I totally got teary as I read your post! I love your family like my own and wish you all the best at this time. You and your family are in my prayers.

Baker Family said...

Nicki,
I have not been able to share my sadness for your loss. I am so sorry you and your family have to go through this. I have never forgotten your dad's first talk/testimony when you guys first moved into our ward. I had never heard someone speak with such amazing spirit. He is inspirational, and I am sure you miss him so much.
I love you all, and pray for your family
Love,
Melissa Baker

Davis Family said...

Oh Nicki, thank you for sharing your thoughts. You have always been such an inspiration to me. I'm so sorry for you and your family. I know your spiritual strength will pull you through. I love you.
kelli

Chelsea B. said...

Nicki I am so sorry for your loss. You have an inner strength that is amazing and the Lord will help you through this trying time. We are praying for you. I wish I was there to grieve with you.

Mandi said...

I'm praying for you and your family. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your father. I think you are amazing and hope you find peace in the days ahead.

Tanner Family said...

Nicki I could not get through this post without crying. You are very strong and I know your testimony of the plan of salvation will help you get through this trying time. You have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. You are amazing and inspirational, thank you for sharing your very personal story.